What does water safety mean to your family? To the British Swim School, it means taking the necessary steps so that we all can safely be in and around the water. Children won’t know how to be prepared in a water emergency if you don’t teach them the ‘what-ifs’. Much like educating a child on how to call 911 in an emergency, take the time to train them!
Educate your kids!
- Put them in swimming lessons and insist that they learn the life-saving technique of a back float. Swim lessons are a great opportunity to have a fun activity with the kids, but the education they learn in swim lessons could save their lives one day.
- Educate the little ones with what to do if they see someone in trouble. Throw a life preserver, call for help, and at all costs, do not jump in after them! Even if our first instinct is to jump in and help.
- Talk to the kids about safe pool practices and to follow all pool rules. They are there to keep them safe.
- And never swim alone!
Make sure your home and neighborhood is safe from the possibility of a water accident.
- Make sure toys aren’t left in the pool attracting the kiddos to go in after them.
- Make sure there are no benches or chairs that will give children the opportunity to climb over safety fencing and access the water.
- If you have your own pool take the time to install safety monitors, locking gates, and even video monitors around your pool.
- Keep in mind that anyone under the age of 18 isn’t an adult yet. Don’t put them in charge of watching the kids in the water. That is your responsibility.
- Make sure you talk to your nanny and babysitters about the importance of constant supervision!
British Swim School of Delaware Valley is currently offering water survival and swim lessons at two pools: L. A. Fitness in King of Prussia Town Center and Homewood Suites Philadelphia/Great Valley in Malvern.Call British Swim School at 610-607-4420 for more information or to sign up for classes.Take the British Swim School’s Water Safety Pledge and learn more at http:// .com/takethepledge/Disclaimer: We received no monetary compensation for this post. We have partnered with BSS to get their word out to our readers, in exchange for complimentary swim lessons for our children during the summer in order to conduct an accurate review.