1. EIGHT BASIC PIECES: Roll up your sleeves and empty that closet! Create piles of shirts, pants, skirts, jackets etc. Evaluate and select your top eight favorite basic items. Pulling from each category starting with bottoms select a pair of capris, jeans & a versatile skirt. Then rummage through your tops selecting a solid T-Shirt, a textured shirt and a great sleeveless top. Finally, choose your favorite jacket & sweater. Keep in mind you want to select pieces that will transform well from day to night but you will need to consider cut, color, texture and proportions. Make sure each piece fits properly and does not look worn (no pills, pulls or stains). Also less is more so as you rummage through your closet stick to the rules! If it does not fit – toss it, out of style – toss it, if you have not worn it in two seasons – toss it! Ok, you don’t have to actually through the garments away a girl has options. Turn your old clothes into cash to pay for your new wardrobe by consigning or donate to your local charity!
2. DEFINE COLOR: Knowing the colors for this Fall will help you define your outfits. Here are the inspired colors for Fall 2011. As you work through establishing your basic pieces you want to assure you select at least one neutral or solid colored piece in each category.
3. STYLE & REFINE: As you create those fabulous outfits take a risk, step out of your comfort zone and create an outfit you would consider edgy or high fashion! Assure you have your conservative or personalized style built into each outfit! Have fun but only allow yourself two “over the top” looks in your Fall Wardrobe!
4. ACCESSORIZE: No look is complete without great accessories. Choose a versatile pair of casual flats, a dressy flat, a fabulous pair of boots and stunning heels! Add a bold splash of color to your shoe wardrobe or keep it neutral! Include a chunky handbag, a shimmering clutch and a great catchall bag for those impromptu getaways! When it comes to baubles Pearls are a great traditional accessory but color is king these days so add a fabulous warm tone crystal statement necklace to your wardrobe and spice up your basics!
5. TIME TO SHOP! Create a list of the additional pieces you need to maximize those eight FABULOUS basics! Be sure to buy only pieces you love, invest in pieces that will carry your wardrobe forward into winter. When you are unsure put it back on the rack, don’t buy a bargain just because it was on sale or a garment that does not flatter because it is in style. Know your figure and be confidant in what works for you. If the trends of today don’t fit your style than keep it simple and stunning. Monotone looks in red, cream, tan, black or brown always compliment and the perfect accessories will create your Trendy Looks!
6. WARDROBE LIBRARY: Choreograph your own fashion show as you build your outfits. Styling your eight basics pieces and newly purchased clothes creating several looks. Layout your outfits assuring to included accessories & shoes than snap away. Take pictures of your outfits, print and create a library of looks by occasion, color and days of the week. You will look & feel fabulous this Fall!
What are your eight favorite basic pieces?
Bridget Burns-Walsh is the Owner of Bridie’s Baubles A Unique Jewelry & Accessories E-Boutique & Aspiring Personal Stylist!