The Kentucky Derby, Mother’s Day…. what a weekend!? Perfect excuses to entertain. Mint Julep’s are synonymous with the Kentucky Derby. They are a delicious blend of bourbon, mint and sugar over ice. Perfect for a warm afternoon. Here is a version perfect for the buffet table instead of the bar. It would be great to serve at a Kentucky Derby Party or a Mother’s Day lunch. It is made with bourbon so it is not very kid friendly. But the adults will love it!
Recipe: Mint Julep Pineapple
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine, May 2005
- 3 Tbs Bourbon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 Tbs Mint Leaves, whole (small)
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 “Extra Sweet” medium Pineapple (about 2 lbs.), peeled & cored
- In a small bowl, mix together bourbon, chopped mint leaves and sugar. Set aside for about an hour.
- Quarter Pineapple and cut into thick slices or bite-sized chunks.
- Pour bourbon mixture through a strainer over pineapple and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Gently mix in whole mint leaves and serve.
For more recipes and entertaining tips from Zareen, visit her blog Cooking With Z.