It may be cold and snowing out but I checked the calendar and it says April. Really, it does. At some point soon Spring will actually be here and Easter too! I had to share this recipe for a Lemon-Rosemary Olive Oil Cake. It is great for so many entertaining needs. It works equally well as part of a brunch as it does an after-dinner dessert. It has an amazing flavor combination that just works. This cake is refreshing, light and delicious.
RECIPE: Lemon-Rosemary Olive Oil Cake
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour, plus an additional 2 tbs
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp freshly grated Lemon Zest
- 1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Extract
- 3 Eggs, large
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- Fresh Rosemary Sprig for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 10-inch tube pan or 8″ cake pan with cooking spray and lightly dust with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, minced rosemary, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, olive oil, milk, lemon zest, extracts and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low-speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add to flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- While cake is cooling, in a small saucepan combine 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and a 1/4 cup granulated sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Once the cake has cooled for 10-15 minutes, pour syrup over cake so it absorbs.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Combine powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stirring until smooth (adding more lemon juice if needed). Drizzle sugar mixture over cake. Garnish with rosemary sprig.
For more recipes and entertaining tips from Zareen, visit her blog Cooking With Z.