It is finally starting to feel a bit like the very beginning of spring. And we are all starting to come out of winter hibernation. If you are in the mood to start socializing again, a really simple way to entertain is to host a wine & dessert party. There is no need to serve a meal every time you entertain. The start time for this party would be after dinner. You can make a few easy desserts and interlace them with a few store bought ones and serve red and white wine. If you’d like you can add some dessert wines and maybe a port.
Here are a few ideas:
- store-bought pound cake with whipped cream and mixed berries
- cookie and brownie platter (you can make these or buy them pre-made)
- a platter of store-bought pastries
- some blue cheese and crackers to accompany the port
Finally you can make one or two desserts: a cake or trifle, a pie, whatever you enjoy making. Here is a recipe for a really simple pie that I love to make for dessert. It takes me literally 5 minutes to assemble and it is delicious. Don’t let the name throw you – trust me. It is a Buttermilk Pie – creamy on the inside with a nice sugary crust on top.
RECIPE: Buttermilk Pie
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Biscuit Mix
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a pie dish (9″ in diameter).
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix for one minute with an electric mixer.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie dish.
- Bake for around 50 minutes, the center should be set.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with whipped cream and blueberries.
For more entertaining tips and recipes from Zareen visit her blog Cooking with Z.