I love olives of any kind. They are briny and tasty little morsels. I had a big jar of pimento olives in my fridge and puff pastry sheets in my freezer so I came up with this hors d’oevre to pair with one of my favorite classic cocktails. The Dirty Martini. Olives in puff pastry are so yummy and couldn’t be easier. The dirty martini is often my go -to drink at a bar. I like them slightly dirty with blue cheese stuffed olives. I buy the blue cheese stuffed olives in a jar at Wegmans. If you are ambitious you can also stuff your own.
Recipe: Olives in Puff Pastry
- 2 Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
- 18-20 Large Pimento Stuffed Olives
- Bowl of Luke Warm Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thaw puff pastry sheets on counter for about 40 minutes. Cut sheets into 3 long strips. Cut along the fold lines. Cut each strip into into 3 squares.
- Dip your finger in the warm water and run it around the bottom edge of the puff pastry sheet.
- Place an olive above the bottom damp edge on the sheet and roll it up and around the olive. Press down the wet edge to seal it closed. Using a knife trim off your roll on the open ends. There should only be about 1/8 – 1/4″ of the pastry sheet sticking out from each end of the olive. Place it on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheets and olives.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes until puffed and golden.
Recipe: Dirty Martini
- 3 Ounces Vodka or Gin
- 1/2 Ounce of Dry Vermouth
- 1/2 Ounce of Brine from Olives
- 2 Olives or Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
- Chill a Martini glass
- Combine Gin or Vodka with Vermouth and Brine in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into a Martini glass.
- Garnish with 2 Olives on a pick and serve.
For more entertaining, cooking, and recipe tips from Zareen, check out her blog called Cooking With Z.