There’s so much more to looking trendy or fashionable than just the clothes you are wearing. Its about looking put together. I know for me, as a busy mom, it is hard to find time to take care of myself. But there are a few tricks to helping you look polished and stylish – even in a tshirt and jeans!
1. Get a 5-minute beauty routine down: Even when I’m running really, realllly late, I can squeeze in 5 minutes. (Even if its in the passenger seat of the car while my husband is driving.) Get yourself a quick routine that uses classic colors that won’t go out of style. (Think smoky browns on your eyes and rose lips and cheeks.) Then you’re always simply made up and looking gorgeous.
For me, I start with primer, dab on concealer, then quickly fill in my brows, put on eyeliner, shadow and mascara, and follow it all by a quick dusting of mineral foundation. Then throw on lip stain and I’m done!
2. Keep up your mani: If you don’t have time to keep your nails done, don’t go for dark polish. Keep your nails short and polish with clear or something very light so that chips don’t show. Chipped polish drives me INSANE. It looks so awful! My secret? This:
Insta-Dri. It dries in 60 seconds. Literally. I use a very pale pink and it last a few days – chips are hardly noticeable. But when its time to redo – it takes about 2 minutes.
3. Find a signature scent: Spritz on a splash of our favorite fragrance whether you’re wearing a LBD or a tshirt and jeans. Fragrances are expensive – but they last for a long time. Bottles usually last me over a year. My favorite scent is Beautiful by Estee Lauder.
Fragrance is a great item to put on your Holiday Wish List 🙂
4. Have a few killer outfit in your closet: A perfect pair of jeans and a black turtleneck sweater. Black bootcut pants and a bright sweater. A simple sweaterdress. Things you can just throw on when you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to spend picking out an outfit, then changing. Then changing again.
5. Be ready on the go: Make up a small bag to stash in your purse, car or desk. Include basics like eye makeup remover, concealer and powder, a small bottle of hairspray and lip stick. You never know when you are going to have “one of those days” or not have time to freshen up before a meeting. Or – this is the worst – you get out and realize you never even put makeup on that morning. (Or does that just happen to me?) Bonus points for including a rechargeable, cordless flat iron!
What are your secrets to pulling off a polished look?
Melissa is a work at home mom to 3 adorable, active kids outside Philadelphia. She is founding editor of the fashion blog b*Stylish, and dishs about family life on her personal blog, Girlymama. Find her on twitter as @girlymamamel.