No doubt this Ka-rAzY heat wave has you relying heavily on your air conditioner! Here are several ways PECO suggests that you can reduce your electic bill:
- If you have central air conditioning, keep your thermostat at 78 degrees – you can save approximately six to seven percent off your cooling costs for each degree above 78.
- If your air conditioner does not have a thermostat, adjust it to a lower setting or combine it with a window or ceiling fan to help keep things cool.
- Keep your window unit out of the sun, they work best when kept cool. Installing one in a north-facing wall is usually ideal.
- Clean or replace filters monthly to maintain operating efficiency.
- Have your central air conditioning units professionally inspected every two years. A well-maintained appliance will last longer, operate better, and save money.
- Inspect the caulking or weather stripping around windows, doors and any openings for utility services.
This is a great time to replace your outdated central air conditioner with a new ENERGY STAR qualified model – it can reduce your cooling costs by up to 20 percent! Plus, PECO is offering great rebates on ENERGY STAR qualified appliances and HVAC equipment. Click here for more information.