One of the things I absolutely love about the Summer season is fresh fruit and vegetables. I am a big fan, advocate and supporter of my local farmer’s markets. My taste buds during this time of the year crave the freshness of the produce and how alive the meals taste when made with great farmer’s market finds.
I have a great salad recipe for you. I often serve this as a side to a meal, but many times this serves as a meal in itself! I ordered a similar salad at a restaurant over a year ago, and this is my take on it. Even out of season, it is tasty and unique. Using in-season produce, though, takes this recipe to a whole new level. This is the perfect salad to serve at a quaint lunch/brunch, or as an impressive side at a BBQ or dinner party!
When serving this salad as a main meal (as opposed to a side), I would suggest using the OPTIONAL 1/2 cup of cubed or shredded chicken – or more if you desire.
Fruit, Nut and Blue Cheese Salad
with Poppy Seed Dressing
* 4 of mixed salad greens
* 1/2 cup of red seedless grapes, cut in half
* 1/2 cup of strawberries (3-4 medium/large strawberries), chopped
* 3 TBS of sliced almonds
* 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles
* 1/2 cup of cubed or shredded COOKED chicken (optional – use if serving salad as a meal, not a side)
* Poppy Seed dressing
Combine salad greens, grapes and strawberries in a serving bowl. Drizzle with Poppy Seed dressing to taste. Mix well. Before serving, sprinkle with almonds and cheese.
1) Dressing amount is approximate. I would say for the amount listed above, use about 1/4 cup. If you are not keen on dressing, use less. If you are a dressing-o-holic, use more.
2) Any almonds will do, but I found these Almond Accents bags in the grocery store (in the produce section with salad/fruit/etc). They have tons of flavors (some like “ranch” which would probably not go well with this), and I recently tried the “honey roasted” kind on this salad – it was delish!
3) As stated above, if making this a side salad, forgo the chicken. When making this salad a meal, serve with 1/4-1/2 cup sliced chicken per person.
4) Some people have trouble finding a good Poppy Seed dressing. I use Kraft Poppy Seed dressing and find it to be perfect (and not expensive!). Another great poppy seed dressing is made by Brianna’s. Brianna’s Poppy Seed Dressing is a little harder to find in some grocery stores (and a little more pricey), but very good.
SUPER YUM! If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it. I can’t get enough, myself 🙂
Have a great week!
To read more about Steph’s life and recipes, head over to her personal blog, Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom.