Local PA girl Jen asked me for some suggestions for tops that are affordable, cute and modest. Aren’t we all looking for a few of those, right? Personally, I have three go-to places when I need some cute and inexpensive clothe:
Is there anyone who doesn’t love the
Merona is a sure bet for more modestly cut clothes. I love Mossimo as well, but they are geared more towards juniors so they tend to fit tighter and be designed for people who have not, for example, had three babies. Ahem.
I love this Lucy Sleeveless Top by Merona. And look at the adorable detailing on the Artist Tee? (Ooo – it comes in Plum, too! And brown! I love the brown! And they’re all only $15!)
SIDEBAR: If your belly is a problem area, then relaxed front teesand runching and pintucking are your friends. Embrace them with open arms. They let you have a less-fitted look without looking like you’re wearing maternity clothes.
Kohl’s is not your mama’s store anymore. They have several VERY cute lines of clothes and when you shop the sales and get an additional 15-30% off with your Kohls charge, you can make a killing. Plus, their stuff tends to run a little more modestly cut than Old Navy.
This Sonoma embellished tank is completely adorable and is on sale for only $10. I love this braided neckline tee (also $10) andthis scroll shirred top (ALSO $10) would look fabulous with my long brown skirt. If you were looking to buy me something.
For something a little dressier, I’m in LOVE with this Dana Buchman Embroidered Tunic:
3. Old Navy Old Navy is hot or cold for me. Either I walk in and love everything or I can’t find anything I like. Am I the only one like that? This spring, I’ve liked quite a bit of what they have to offer. (Last summer? Notsomuch.)
I havethis Ruched V-Neck T-shirt in about 3 colors and I love it! Its a little low cut, but I wear a cami under it. For a similar look that’s not as low cut, try this Flutter-Sleeve Tee. I love theseTwisted-Neck T-shirts – such a cute touch at the neckline – and these Lightweight Embroidered Keyhole tops are casual but could easily be dressed up for church or a date night!
ThisGathered Scoopneck Top could be dressed up or down easily as well and it looks like its almost a tunic, if you like that length. A couple other places to look for cute tops:
- If you’re fairly small and can pull of clothes technically for juniors, try Go Jane or Forever 21. They have loads of stuff for under $20. H&M has great stuff as well, but tends to run small and tight, so proceed with caution.
- Try Lands End’s online outlet store. You can score KILLER deals if you hit it right.
- Outlets, Outlets, Outlets! I try to hit the Gap Outlet, LOFT Outlet and Banana Republic Outlet. I also love the Coach outlet, but this post is supposed to be about inexpensive things – even on sale Coach isn’t cheap!
- Check the clearance racks at your favorite stores and watch the sales. I’ve made a killing on the clearance racks with additional 30-50% off sales going on!!
Where are your favorite place to catch great deals on cute clothes?
Melissa also talks family and fashion on her personal blog, Girlymama.