Here at Crayola, we wanted you to be one of the first to know about the important steps we are taking toward providing a healthier planet for the kids of today and tomorrow, and an exciting way that you can be involved, too!
We believe that the creativity and originality of children will lead the way in making the world a greener place. By using renewable energy, reducing waste and protecting the rainforests, we are committed to doing our part so kids will have a healthier environment for their creative tomorrows.
As part of Crayola’s ever-evolving green initiative, this upcoming back-to-school season special boxes of Crayola crayons, markers and colored pencils will feature icons calling out the ways each product is lessening its impact on the environment. Solar panels are starting to provide power to make more than 1 billion Crayola crayons annually and recycled bottle caps are being used to make 500 million Crayola markers, keeping hundreds of tons of plastic out of landfills. Additionally, since 1987, Crayola has made its colored pencils from reforested wood: for every tree that is used, a new one of the same species is planted. Crayola’s new greener school supplies will be available for this back-to-school season.
As the countdown begins to August 5 when we’ll celebrate plugging our new 15-acre solar farm into the sun,we are launching a search for the inaugural members of the “Crayola Green Team,” a group of 10 children with colorful ideas for protecting the planet.
Here are the details:
1. Crayola is looking for a group of 10 children who have a colorful vision for making their schools, homes or communities greener.
2. Children can participate in the “How I Dream in Green” contest for the chance to win one of 10 spots on the Crayola Green Team. Crayola will bring the team to Easton, Pa., to do the honors of ceremonially plugging our new 15-acre solar farm into the sun on August 5.
3. Parents or teachers can submit artwork through June 28 that illustrates the colorful ways children want to protect the planet either on Crayola’s Facebook fan page (www.facebook.com/crayola) or at Crayola.com.
4. Submissions will be displayed in an online gallery on Facebook open for public voting from July 6-21. Crayola will then select the 10 most creative and original ideas from the artwork that receives the most votes.
5. The winning kids will be honored for the ways they want to do good for the environment during the opening of our solar farm and will have the rare chance to take a VIP tour of Crayola’s manufacturing facility where they can help us package our new solar power crayons AND RECEIVE A CUSTOM 64 BOX FILLED WITH PINE GREEN, JUNGLE GREEN, ELECTRIC LIME AND THE OTHER 15 SHADES OF CRAYOLA GREEN CRAYONS PERSONALIZED WITH THEIR INDIVIDUAL NAMES.
If you would like to enter your child’s artwork, it can be submitted either at the Crayola Facebook fan page or at Crayola.com, along with the official rules.