Today is Earth Day! It’s a great day to raise awareness about ways we can help the earth and the environment. I love that there is a day dedicated to making “loving the earth” more mainstream and helping people understand that there are ways to make different choices in their lives that would really make an impact on a better tomorrow for our children.
- ALL trash needs to be scrupulously evaluated to see if it could be recycled.
- We no longer buy plastic water bottles. If we need to take a beverage on-the-go we try to remember our own stainless steel bottles.
- I will only use natural cleaning products in our house. We love our Sun and Earth products. They work just as well (they REALLY do) and they don’t cost more than the chemical-filled conventional cleaners.
- I primarily use natural/organic hygiene products. There are a few exceptions (I will not give up my beloved Cetaphil face cleanser), but we do use natural body washes, shampoos, conditioners, and toothpastes.
- We use CFL lightbulbs
- We buy paper towels, toilet paper and napkins that are made from recycled paper. I recognize that the more “EF” option would be to use cloth, but that doesn’t work for my lifestyle so this is my compromise position and I feel good about that. My favorite brand is Marcal Smart Steps.
- I *try* to remember my reusable bags at the store, but if I forget, we ALWAYS save the plastic bags for my grocery store’s plastic bag recycling program
- We try hard to conserve water and not waste water by unnecessarily running the taps.