Host Your Own “Swap Stuff Party” – The latest trend for finding bargains is to barter at swap parties. Find out how to plan one yourself – and learn swap party rules
1. Choose a Theme: Do you want to swap children’s clothes, Halloween Costumes, high end fashion, household goods, toys, furniture, holiday decorations, bedding or a hodge podge of goods? Deciding on a theme in advance will help your guests hone in on what they want to bring. Plus, if you have one type of party now, you can have another one later or rotate homes with your friends for future “swap stuff parties”
2. Chose a Time and Date: Saturday and Sunday afternoons are great times to have a swap party, but weeknights can also be good. Consider taking a poll of your friends before you choose the date.
3. Choose a Venue: If you’re only planning to invite your friends and family, your house will probably do, but use the largest room in the house and provide plenty of tables for sorting through the loot. If you’d like to open up your swap party to the larger community consider seeing if there’s a church hall or other community area you can use for free or at a reduced charge.
4. Send Invitations: We’re big fans of Evite, but don’t stop there! Create an event on your Facebook Page, Tweet about it, send individual emails and as you get closer to the event, send another message to everyone with an update of the kinds of merchandise they can expect to see on the day of the swap.
Swap Party Rules
1. Bring clean, gently used items only.
2. Each guest receives one swap coupon for each item brought to the swap party. (You can print these coupons yourself from your computer).
3. No “swap shopping” can begin until the hostess announces that all of the merchandise is ready for browsing.
4. Start shopping! You may take as many items as you have coupons.
5. If two people both want the same item, put names into a hat and draw. The winner gets the item!