- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar & extra for ‘dipping’ the cookies into
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- assorted colors of paste food coloring
- 24 lollipop sticks (optional)
- In a bowl – cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into thirds or fourths (depending on how many colors you’d like). Tint each with a different food color (you should have 3 or 4 different colors). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Working with half of each color, shape dough into 3/4 inch balls and for each cookie place 1 ball of each color together to make 1 large ball. Shape into a 12 inch long roll (like a snake), starting at one end, coil roll to make a 2 3/4 inch round cookie, dip the tops of the cookies into sugar for a “glistening” affect. Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Carefully insert lollipop sticks into bottoms of cookies, if you’d like them to be lollipop cookies (See picture below).
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.
These are great cookies to make for your child’s classroom or preschool too…children LOVE them!
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.